Expand your law practice by joining SCCBA's Lawyer Referral Service as a new attorney or an established professional. Certified by the California State Bar, our service connects you with Santa Clara County clients already seeking legal representation.
The Santa Clara County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service receives approximately 35,000 calls annually. Client referrals from these calls generate nearly $1 million a year in attorney fees for the participating attorneys.
Our friendly and highly-trained SCCBA Lawyer Referral Service staff are bilingual in English and Spanish with over 20 years experience matching qualified lawyers with clients' immediate legal needs. Founded in 1917, Santa Clara County Bar Association administers the largest Lawyer Referral Service in Santa Clara County.
If you are an attorney, either SCCBA member or non-member, interested in joining our Lawyer Referral Program, please contact us at 408.971.6822 or submit our Attorney Application Form.
Public Service Purpose
- To assist clients, who can afford a reasonable fee for legal advice, retain a qualified member of the Bar who has agreed to provide a one-half hour consultation without charge;
- To make available to the public generally the services of qualified attorneys who have indicated a special interest in a particular substantive area of law;
- To encourage a high quality of legal service to the public.Panel Requirements
To be approved as an LRS Panel Attorney, you must meet certain minimum qualifications required by state statute and California State Bar Rules and Regulations.
- Must complete a qualification statement requiring certain qualifications for each substantive law panel for which the attorney applies;
- Must carry legal malpractice insurance; an attorney may obtain malpractice insurance at a reasonable price for LRS referrals through an arrangement with Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company;
- Must agree to establish certain procedures within the attorney's office to facilitate the scheduling of client appointments by SCCBA staff:
- Must certify the malpractice insurance on a yearly basis. Must submit a qualification statement every five years for recertification to the LRS Panel.
Experience Panels Areas of practice include:
*click on the subject area to access the application for that LRS Panel.
The Referral Process
- Clients speak with an LRS staff member about their legal problem;
- Clients receive a 30-minute consultation with a qualified local lawyer in the area of legal expertise they require. Consultations are immediately arranged around your schedule, usually within 24-48 hours.Clients also receive a free second 30-minute appointment with a different lawyer, if requested;
- Clients pay a $41 administration fee to SCCBA's Lawyer Referral Service. All Attorneys in our Lawyer Referral Service charge NO FEE for first 30 minutes.
There is no obligation by
you, nor the client, to continue the relationship beyond the first consultation. If the client's problem requires further legal services and they elect to hire you, you and the client will decide the fee to be charged.