THIS EVENT IS FULL TO CAPACITY - WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS
A Conversation with Josh Groban, Governor Brown’s Judicial Appointment Liaison
This event will provide attendees with a unique view into the judicial appointment process in California. Mr. Groban, along, with the other panelists, will provide details about the process you will not hear anywhere else, including various tips for overcoming some of the hurdles to being appointed to a judicial officer position in Santa Clara County, particularly the superior court. Some of what you will hear is:
- What kind of candidate is the Governor looking for?
- Do you have to have certain kind of connections to be seriously considered?
- How do I make the PDQ meaningful? Who reviews the PDQ in the Governor’s Office?
- Are letters of reference really that important? What should letters of reference include?
- How do I navigate the application process, especially the evaluation committees, including the local bar and JNE?
- What should I be doing in the years prior to my application to be considered a serious judicial candidate?
- How are we doing with diversity on the bench?
- How do I survive the whole process? Do I need mentors to assist me?
Groban served as chief legal advisor for Governor Brown’s 2010 campaign. Groban now serves as Senior Advisor to Governor Jerry Brown and focuses on the judiciary and on legal policy.
Thanks to the financial contributions of La Raza & NAPIPA, this is a complimentary event
Registration: 5 PM
2.0 Elimination of Bias
Senior Advisor to Governor Brown
Hon. Brian Walsh,
Presiding Judge, State of California, County of Santa Clara
Hon. Sunil Kulkarni,
Judge, State of California, County of Santa Clara
Hon. Marguerite Downing,
Judge, State of California, County of Los Angeles, Member, Council on Access and Fairness, State Bar of California
Judicial Nomination Evaluation Committee, State Bar of California
Co-chair, Judiciary Committee, Santa Clara County Bar Association
Moderator, La Raza Lawyers of Santa Clara County, Deputy District Attorney, Santa Clara County
National Asian Pacific Islander Prosecutors Association
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BLACK LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (SCCBLA)