Dianne L. Sweeney
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
2014 SCCBA President
In 1999, the SCCBA was the first voluntary bar association in the country to completely transition to electronic communication with its members and the first bar association to develop a web-based platform to support online features allowing members to access services more easily and efficiently. These features included online registration for MCLE programs and bar association events, as well as an online membership directory with profiles that could be updated and changed in real time by members.
At the same time, we also launched the first online streaming video of MCLE programs, which made us the second bar association in the country to have online MCLE programs accessible to members 24/7. Over the years, we have expanded our technology reach to our members and explored ways to assist other bar organizations without a technology platform to leverage our technology and MCLE programs as a service to their members.
While we remain on the forefront of technology, it seems only appropriate that the associations located in the Silicon Valley should continue to lead bar associations to the next generation of web based services.
This summer, the SCCBA will launch its next generation website delivering to its members a go-to site for a wide array of legal needs. The new platform is designed to keep the SCCBA on the cutting edge of association technology while delivering a broader range of services and richer content. For the first time members will have an opportunity to participate in online professional legal networking within SCCBA’s network and also to obtain and track their MCLE credits online 24/7.
As part of the new website rollout, the SCCBA will introduce its new logo, which we hope will capture the forward-looking excitement about our organization and help us celebrate our nearly 100 year history.
Here is a sneak preview of just a few features members will be able to take advantage of this summer.
SCCBA Networking Profile for Members: Each member will have access to a members-only portal with some new features to facilitate direct networking and communication with other SCCBA members:
- Enhanced Profiles: Allows the member to post not merely a three line profile but an extended bio as well
- Personal “Wall”: For posting comments, events, achievements, interesting happenings
- Personalized Website Pages: Create additional website pages to your member profile or simply provide a link to your website. Also, members may create a custom url for direct linking to a private or a public directory profile.
- “Connections” (for “friending” other SCCBA members): Better networking with SCCBA members by making “connections” with other members; keep track of and manage your “connections” and stay in touch with email available through the member portal to your connections
- Twitter Feed: Authorize your Twitter feed for display on your profile “wall” so SCCBA members can more easily follow you
- Forums/Blogs: Manage your committee and section forums and blogs in your member portal, or create your own personal blog
My CLE Manager: My CLE Manager will automatically track all the MCLE credits you earn through attending SCCBA MCLE programs. If you happen to attend a non-SCCBA MCLE, you can still enter that program into your personalized tracker. You will also have the ability to print/email a certificate of credits per program and print/email a transcript of all credits earned, SCCBA and non-SCCBA.
Enhanced Committee/Section Pages: Each committee/section will also be able to create its own website presence that can include:
- a member roster,
- a calendar with only that committee/section meetings, MCLE programs and events,
- its own blog or forum, and
- a Twitter feed.
Further updates will be issued concerning the launch of the new website and we look forward to seeing you online this summer. Until then, please do your part to support SCCBA—recruit a member, encourage a mentee to sign the professionalism pledge, join a committee or come to a networking mixer—it’s your continuing efforts and commitment to the legal community that has kept us strong since 1917.