DESCRIPTION: As a bar association with at least 2,000 members, the SCCBA is entitled to send a delegate to the ABA House of Delegates to represent the SCCBA. The ABA House of Delegates, in its role as the policy-making body of the Association, meets at the Midyear Meeting in February and the Annual Meeting in August. At each meeting, the House considers and adopts new policy resolutions on a broad range of issues related to the legal profession. Once resolutions are adopted as official ABA policy, the Governmental Affairs Office coordinates implementation of the policies and serves as the focal point for the Association's advocacy efforts before Congress, the Executive Branch and other governmental entities. For more information: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/leadership/house_of_delegates.html
The delegate attends the ABA’s annual and mid-year meetings, represents the SCCBA’s interests, votes on the SCCBA’s behalf, and reports back to the SCCBA Board of Trustees. The delegate serves a two-year term and receives a $1,500 annual stipend from the SCCBA to partially reimburse his or her expenses. For the last 16 years, the ABA delegate position has been ably filled by Bob Weeks. Bob has decided to pass the baton, thus, the Board of Trustees is looking to fill the vacancy.
CRITERIA: The Board will fill the vacancy if a suitable candidate can be identified. Some of the criteria the Board will look to, but are not exclusive, are as follows.
- Be an Active Member of the SCCBA and the ABA;
- A member who is well regarded in the legal community locally, statewide and/or nationally;
- Must be enthusiastic about serving as ABA delegate;
- Be a member and/or active on one or more House of Delegates Committees;
- Will engage actively with the Board to plan for the ABA meetings; identify and discuss potential initiatives of interest to the SCCBA and planned votes;
- Report to the Board at the first Board meeting after the ABA mid-year and annual meetings in person and/or in writing.
APPLICATION: If you are interested in applying for the vacancy, please contact SCCBA CEO Chris Burdick at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application. In addition to the application, you will be requested to submit a resume and statement of interest.
Deadline for submission of the application is October 25, 2016 at 4:45 pm.