The electronic ballots will be distributed to all active SCCBA members on Wednesday, September 21, and must be submitted to the Bar Association office by Friday, September 30. Because Kate Wilson, current President-Elect, was appointed by the Board of Trustees to complete the year after the position was left vacant, the President will be one of the positions on the ballot for 2017.
LAW SCHOOL: University of San Francisco School of Law
Admitted to the California State Bar December 1973
Law Offices of Eugene Flemate, San Jose, CA
I pledge to increase membership. There are currently 10,448 active attorneys in Santa Clara County registered with the State Bar. However, our Bar Association membership is only about 2,000 members. I pledge to increase that number by personally recruiting 50 new members and asking the individual members of our Board of Trustees to recruit at least 20 new members each.
I pledge to be your ambassador with the courts, the State Bar, specialty and regional bar associations and with the Association's own sections and committees. I will, along with our new Board of Trustees, provide the opportunity to voice our concerns on attorney professionalism and the delivery of legal services to our County residents.
I will promote professionalism and collegiality among our members by seeking that all our members pledge to adhere to our Code of Professionalism.
I will promote more social interaction among our members. I will seek additional opportunities for our members to get to know each other and each other’s respective fields of practice. I believe in frequent social events at low or no cost to encourage the gathering of our members where litigation or negotiation is not the required interaction.
LEGAL PRACTICE EXPERIENCE:
- 43 years as a practicing attorney
- 37 years of practice in Santa Clara County
- Former legal aid lawyer with five years experience as Directing Attorney of the Legal Aid Society of Santa Clara County
- Three years practice with Littler Mendelson in San Francisco
- 31 years small firm experience with the Law Offices of Eugene Flemate
COUNTY BAR EXPERIENCE:
- Long time member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Current trustee of the Santa Clara Count Bar Association Board of Trustees.
- Current member of SCCBA Finance Committee
- Current member of the SCCBA ad hoc Subcommittee on Governance.
- Former member of the SCCBA Judiciary Committee
- Former member of the California State Bar=s Judicial Nomination Evaluation (JNE) Commission
- Current President and founding member of the Santa Clara County La Raza Lawyers Association
- Current member of the La Raza Lawyers Charitable Foundation Board of Trustees (Provides Scholarships to Deserving Law Students)
- Volunteer for many years with the Volunteers in Parole Program in Santa Clara County (Awarded Outstanding Attorney Volunteer for 1998)
LAW SCHOOL: Santa Clara University School of Law
Admitted to the California State Bar April 2007
Extreme Networks, San Jose, CA
2016 Santa Clara County Bar Association (“SCCBA”) President Elect. I am currently seeking election as the 2017 SCCBA President because I would like to continue to serve our legal community through the SCCBA and I believe my extensive experience will be a valuable asset to our association as we celebrate our centennial anniversary and implement our new strategic plan.
I have been an active member of the SCCBA for a decade and for the entirety of my legal career. Highlights of my involvement with the SCCBA include:
- Appointed by the Board of Trustees and serving as the 2016 SCCBA President Elect
- Elected and served as the 2016 SCCBA Treasurer from January 2016 through August 2016
- Elected and served as the 2015 SCCBA Secretary
- Served as a member of the Executive Committee in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Served as a Trustee for six (6) years
- Served as a member of the Finance Committee for six (6) years
- Served as Chair of the Civil Practice Committee
- Served as Chair of the Barristers’ Committee
- Served as a member of the Strategic Planning Committee
- Served as a member of the E-Discovery Task Force
- Served as a member of the Professional Rules Revisions Task Force
- Participated in and completed the SCCBA Barristers’ Leadership Program
- Spoken at and moderated several CLE presentations sponsored by SCCBA committees and sections
- Received the SCCBA Barrister of the Year Award in 2012
I am currently the Director and Associate General Counsel of Commercial Litigation and Global Employment Law for Extreme Networks, Inc. where my in-house practice focuses on commercial litigation, employment law and general corporate matters. Prior to joining Extreme, I maintained a solo law practice for approximately 1½ years and before that I was a litigation and employment law associate at Berliner Cohen for approximately 7 years.
I believe that both my professional and SCCBA experience make me well qualified to serve as the 2017 SCCBA President. Through my work with the bar, I have come to clearly understand all aspects of our association, its important role in our overall legal community and what is necessary to run this organization. As an attorney I have experience as a solo practitioner, a member of a mid-sized law firm and in-house allowing me to personally understand the needs and issues facing a broad range of our membership.
If elected by the membership as the 2017 SCCBA President, I plan for a year focused on Celebration and Implementation-- Celebration of our rich history, vast achievements and vibrant membership and Implementation of our Strategic Plan that has been carefully developed over the last few years to ensure that our association continues to thrive and serve our community for another 100 years.
I would appreciate your support of my candidacy for the 2017 SCCBA President position and I would be honored to serve our association and the legal community in this capacity.
Currently endorsed by 5 past SCCBA Presidents.
John Mlnarik, Dianne Sweeney, Steve Haley, Mindy Morton, Shannon Stein
LAW SCHOOL: UCLA School of Law
Admitted to the California State Bar November 2004
Santa Clara County Counsel’s Office, San Jose, CA
Kevin Hammon has enjoyed serving as the SCCBA Secretary in 2016, a Member of the Board of Trustees since 2011, Chair of the Lawyer Referral Service Committee in 2014, Member of the SCCBA’s Executive Committee in 2011, 2012, and 2016, and the Chair of the Law Related Education Committee in 2010. Through the years, Kevin has had the pleasure of working with SCCBA C.E.O. Chris Burdick, SCCBA staff, and a variety of current and former SCCBA Officers and Trustees.
Since 2004, Kevin has been involved in Santa Clara County’s annual High School Mock Trial Tournament. Kevin has served as the Tournament Administrator for the past four years. The Tournament represents a partnership between the SCCBA, the Santa Clara County Office of Education, and the Santa Clara County Superior Court. Over 100 attorneys volunteer their time as scorers. The Bench provides courtrooms and judges. Over 400 students participate in the program, serving as attorneys, witnesses, bailiffs, and court clerks. The reviews from teachers, attorneys, students, and staff have been overwhelmingly positive.
Since 2008, Kevin has been a lawyer in the Santa Clara County Counsel’s Child Dependency Unit. Kevin worked in the County Counsel’s Litigation Unit between 2007 and 2008. Between 2004 and 2007, Kevin was a litigation attorney at McManis Faulkner.
LAW SCHOOL: UCLA School of Law
Admitted to the California State Bar December 1996
Robinson & Wood, Inc., San Jose, CA
I am running for SCCBA Treasurer.
It seems beneficial to the association and the membership to have direct member participation in the financial aspects of our bar association, including budgetary decision-making. To that end, I agreed to serve on the SCCBA finance committee this year. My developed opinion is that the SCCBA is prudently and efficiently financially-managed. As such, I see my role as Treasurer next year—frankly—as continuing the necessary, and effective, oversight work of previous treasurers, and to help coordinate responses to any unusual developments. 2017 will be SCCBA’s centenary year. It should be an unusually eventful time for the SCCBA and its members, including financially, and I’m looking forward to participating as an officer in many planned and anticipated celebrations and activities.
I am currently serving on the Board of Trustees and the Executive Committee, where I have also served in previous years. I also previously served as Chair of the Business Law/Litigation section and on the SCCBA Fair Elections Commission.
I am a litigation partner at Robinson & Wood, Inc. in San Jose. I previously practiced at other law firms, including Latham & Watkins in Los Angeles and San Francisco where I started my career after UCLA School of Law and a federal clerkship. It has been an honor and a personal pleasure to engage in SCCBA-related activities over the years, and especially to interact with the many fine local attorneys that also take the time to participate. If you’ve been considering getting more involved, you should make a move!
BOARD OF TRUSTEE POSITIONS ON BALLOT
(Two Year Term)
San Jose Trustees: Joshua Borger, Lori Costanzo, Kathryn Diemer
Morgan Hill Trustees: Sue Saign
Palo Alto Trustees: Hogene Choi, Golnesa Monazamfar